Saturday 29 November 2014

09 // Back on the Wagon - part 2

Here are the final three thumbnails I'll be producing for the first illustration.

I feel I've captured the essence of each location well enough that whichever one I choose to go forward with, it shouldn't require too much extra effort to take it through the colouring stage into completion.

Within each of these I've tried to focus on getting the scale of the location to read as being massive and imposing, while also controlling the lighting in such a way that it adds to the drama of each shot. I've presented a different style of scenery for each, by altering the appearance of rocks and terrain, but when it comes to finalising one of the compositions, a little extra variety might be required here or there.

At this stage, I'm thinking the bottom option is the one I'll go through with, mainly for it having that little bit of added interest in the jutting rocks. 

After previously having had a brief study of lava-formed terrain, when it comes to rendering out each of the surfaces I'll make sure to include all the details of hardened lava throughout. I'll also be adding the towering volcano-home of Cobra to the far distant BG, further increasing the sense of depth and adding even more visual interest to the piece.

For colour palette choice, I intend to make it very dark across the rocks and mountains - grey-blues throughout - with accents of glowing orange-red mamga emanating from the cracks and holes in the ground. Dark smoke will also be added to the scene, to fit the author's description of the environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment