Saturday 20 September 2014

03 // Tone and Shade

With this weeks assignment being to study an object and present an accurate depiction of its tone and shade, I set about with ballpoint pen and invested some time into discovering how successful I might be in applying the medium to this task. As is likely to be a running theme for some of this module, I fear that to a degree I was unsuccessful in my first attempt, though have leveled up a little in the time since.

Here's a snap-shot of the 2 objects I chose to draw in class; the vase presenting lighter tones, and the crumpled cone presenting a darker range.


My first sketches looked thus...


After spending a bit of time considering my self-critique and berating myself for making schoolboy errors, I came back for more punishment and produced this...


...but who was I kidding?? If anything, this was even further off the mark, soooooo after a swift crash-course in the technicalities of cross hatching, I got my ass in gear and knuckled down to produce a better result - albeit slightly watered down in terms of details.



No comments:

Post a Comment