Sunday 7 December 2014

11 // Interior Set Design

For the second part of the project assignment - interior set design - I planned on producing a design for the bath house scene, where the character Robin is washed by her captors.

The bath house is located within Bahaara's Temple of Dreams, the location of the bad guy's stronghold.

In the Death Dealer book there isn't too much of a description for this environment, so I figured I had a bit of free reign here. My initial research came from a quick Google search of temples and church interiors. After a glimpse of some of the resulting images, I set to designing my own environment, choosing to not rely on reference for this one. Rather, I tried to let my visual memory guide my design.

Although the brief states that this part of the project should be a line drawing, I decided to go ahead and use Google SketchUp to produce this image. In hindsight, this may have been the wrong choice to make as I might be marked down for not following the brief accurately. On the other hand, time was a deciding factor on my decision; although I could have drawn an image such as this - with some difficulty - I wanted to present as detailed a design as possible with the resources and time available to me. 

My focus was on creating a relatively simple design for the set, focusing on bold shapes and atmospheric lighting potential.

After rendering out the final image, I sketched in the 3 characters who would be present within the scene, to show their general placement on set.


No comments:

Post a Comment